Scoil Naomh Caitríona was founded in 1959 by the Mercy Sisters. Their main house was St. Marie's of the Isle. Due to new housing in the locality there was a large influx of young families resulting in a huge demand for an educational establishment to cater for the ever-growing suburban population in the Bishopstown area. As the school was opened before the convent, the nuns had to travel by bus every day to the school. At this early stage in our school's history there were only 5 classrooms. By the mid-60s, a new wing consisting of 4 new classrooms, a cookery room and a hall were added.
Sr. Finbarr was the first principal of St. Catherine's, followed by Sr. Brendan, Sr. Aquin, Sr. Assumpta, and Sr. Ailbe. In 1997, the Mercy Order handed principalship to the laity. Mrs. Carmel O' Sullivan became the first lay principal. However, the Mercy Order are still the trustees of the school, and the Mercy tradition is still reflected in the school's ethos.
One of our classrooms.